Monday, March 8, 2010

Spring has Sprung!

Pink MegaSplash Geranium

I've been rejoicing in the Spring sunshine we've had in Houston the past week or so.  I've managed to go outside and clean-up most of the mess that winter left.  I've trimmed everything back and fertilized my lawn, pots and bedding plants.  This past Saturday I actually got a little sunburn on my face while working at the nursery.  (I don't think I've ever been so happy about a sunburn in my life!)  I am elated that Spring is here!  This past winter has been one miserable time.  Normally, Houstonians get to garden year round, but the bitter chill kept me inside for three months.  After talking with many homeowners this past weekend, I think the consensus is that Spring is here to stay.  Trees are leafing out, the birds are here, and I even saw a Sulpher butterfly flying around on Saturday!

Shrimp Plant

I'm excited that my hobby and passion in life can get going again.  So many of my favorite things in life happen in my garden.  I love plants, but more importantly, I find that pulling weeds and trimming plants is VERY therapeutic.  My husband would agree that I've been more on edge since I haven't had my favorite way of releasing stress.  I love photographing flowers and butterflies.  I could only take so many pictures of Pansies before I got bored with them, and taking pictures of flowers in our greenhouses at work just isn't the same as taking them in a garden where they are growing in the sunshine.  I've missed blogging about my garden on a somewhat daily basis.  I am very anxious to start posting again, and I already have a few topics that I am gathering pictures for. So, I am thrilled that Spring has finally arrived!

'Ponderosa' Lemon Blossom

My Dad is coming over today or tomorrow to help me till up a vegetable garden in my back yard.  Normally we start one together at our farm, but the winter and early spring have been extremely wet.  We can't get the tractor through our plot without getting stuck.  We've decided to each start a patch at our homes instead.  I'm looking forward to tomatoes right off the vine, squash, okra, and cucumbers!  I have a 101 in 1001 goal to make my own pickles, so I'll also be growing Dill.  I also have plans of extending a flower bed in my front yard.  My husband and I moved in February to a house with lots of trees in the front yard.  This will be the first time I get to garden at my home with a shade and dappled light setting.  I am very excited about that!

Bossiaea heterophylla

So, happy Spring everyone!  I can't wait to hear what everyone else is up to in their gardens as the temps warm up across the country!

4 comments:

  1. It is a wonderful time of year! How exciting to have a new garden to play around in. My favorite spring fragrance is the smell of citrus blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it lovely to see the gardens coming alive after a drab winter? Your shrimp plant looks wonderful, and that geranium is very aptly named!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the welcoming of spring! I look forward to your spring posts. I planted tomatoes for the first time and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Spring to you Sarah. No you know what it is like for us poor saps that can't garden for months at a time!

    ReplyDelete

Questions or Comments?

Related Posts with Thumbnails