Tuesday, December 29, 2009

I'm Back!

The Christmas tornado has come and gone in my household just like it does every year, and I'm still exhausted from the chaos of the past two weeks!  Back tracking to Dec 22, my youngest son turned 2.  We had a small family get together for him that night.  He had a great time opening his presents and eating his cake.


I made him a Tonka cake.


Proud new owner of a police car!

I spent the next couple of days wrapping up loose ends that needed to get tied up before Christmas.  One of those loose ends was emailing out my Christmas card to family and friends since it didn't get in the snail mail on time!



Christmas Eve marked the beginning of the whirl wind of hustle and bustle that always engulfs the holiday.  We enjoyed six Christmas celebrations between my family and my husband's family.  We left Houston around 4:00 p.m. on Christmas day for my father-in-law's house in Arlington, TX where we got to visit with my husbands brother's and sister who were down from South Dakota.  I also finally got to meet my new nephew Trevin!  We enjoyed the last of their white Christmas with a snowball fight when we got there!


My new nephew Trevin...lil' Cutie-Pie!

I am very thankful that my boys had a great Christmas.  After my husband went 9 1/2 months without a job this year, I am relieved that the year has ended on a good note.  We were able to buy everyone a little something, and not break the bank.  I think I learned a little about budgeting properly!

On Saturday, I decided to go to Grapevine, TX and visit the Gaylord Hotel which has a beautiful atrium of Texas plants.  I want to work there SO bad!  It's like walking into a small piece of heaven!  My brother and sister-in-law went with me just to get out of the house, but were very impressed with the decor and plants in their atrium.


Gaylord Hotel: Looking at the front from the parking garage.


Inside the Atrium: 
This tree is HUGE! ...and it spins around in beautiful glory!


The train sets went rolling along through the plants.


Amber and Ryan


Ryan and Me


Serine ponds


Bird of Paradise


Agave Garden


Beautiful Xeriscape garden


GORGEOUS Poinsettia tree 


Variegated Rubber tree (I regret not taking a cutting!) ;o)


Bromeliads


Beautiful tree with Snake plant and Dracena under it


Snow around the Cyclamen outside


Outside the Hotel

We left the hotel and came back home to fajitas and a fun game of Apples to Apples with the rest of the family.  We left Arlington the next morning and came home to the fun of un-wiring all the Christmas toys from their packaging...Do they really need that many wires and screws to hold a tiny toy in place?  It's a bit ridiculous!

So the Christmas season is over, and I am most looking forward to the new year.  I have never been more happy to see a year end than 2009.  It's been rough, but I have learned a lot.  I am most looking forward to 2010 and what it has to offer that 2009 lacked.  I hope everyone had a fabulous Christmas and wish everyone a very Happy New Year!

5 comments:

  1. It's about time you got back here! We have missed you! It looks like your boys had a great Christmas, too!

    Thanks for the pics of the Atrium. I would love to go there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sarah,

    I am glad you had such a wonderful Christmas. I'm exhausted just hearing about all you did ;-) I love your son's birthday cake - very creative. I am looking forward to reading your blog in the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back - I was thinking of you earlier today! I love the pictures of you and your family - look at all those boys! I have (only) three sons, so I know about boy toys. Your tonka truck cake is so cute. The Atrium photos are nice - I really like the poinsettia tree.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when you came to visit me at the Gaylord Hotel in March 2008. I still have the recipe for that yummy shrimp salad we had & have yet to make it... one day perhaps? -SR

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to go and eat that salad, but it was so packed and I didn't want to stay that long! I need to get the recipe from you!

    ReplyDelete

Questions or Comments?

Related Posts with Thumbnails