Monday, November 16, 2009

My Farewell to Fall



This is my farewell post to Fall.  Tomorrow I begin Christmas installs, and once I break out the ornaments and glitter I just never get back into that Fall feeling again.  I've really enjoyed this fall.  The trees here in Houston are really just now changing and the weather is just now cooling, but it's been a beautiful fall.  I've had fun with my kids building scarecrows, carving pumpkins and bobbing for apples.  All the nostalgic fun of fall has been done this year.  I'm looking forward to Thanksgiving with my family, and looking forward to "Kids Thanksgiving" even more.  This is a tradition my husband came up for our kids to enjoy a feast of their own choosing.  The day before Thanksgiving, we buy every kind of junk food available in the freezer section of the grocery store, and let the kids chow down on all their favorites.  The only rule is they have to eat everything on their plate the next day.  I mean, let's face it, turkey and dressing just isn't kid friendly!  So they feast on pizza rolls, french fries, chicken nuggets, bagel bites, egg rolls, cheese sticks, and God only knows what else the day before.  Then on Thanksgiving day, my husband and I aren't plagued with kids whining about how they don't like this or that.  It's a beautiful compromise!  I guess that will truly be the end of fall, but tomorrow is Christmas.

I've mentioned before that I am a part-time florist.  I make my "mad money" making arrangements for an interior designer.  Together we install Christmas decor in her clients homes.  I feel grateful this year that the economy is down and a lot of our previous clients are going to do their own install this year.  I've been doing this for 6+ years and let me tell you, it gets crazy and very stressful.  No matter how much we stress to people to start thinking about their decor early, it never fails that we have at least 5-6 people who need our help last minute.  And of course there is always the neighbor who saw what we did, and now wants something in their home too.  Oh the joys of being good! (yes, I'm bragging a little with a touch of sarcasm!)  Just today I went from having 3 homes on my calendar to having those plus a new neighborhood entrance to decorate, and 8 arrangements to revamp I made 3 years ago for a lady.  I'm sure there will be many more between now and Christmas.  And so it begins.  The lazy fall is gone, and the Christmas hustle and bustle is upon me.  Just like that.  So, bring on the glitter!  I'm usually covered in it this time of year!

7 comments:

  1. As a fellow florist, it can be difficult to enjoy Christmas yourself(after doing so much for others). I really do wish they would think ahead. In Toronto, I find as soon as there is a snow, everyone realizes Christmas is right around the corner and panics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Christmas too, but I am only responsible for decorating my own house :) My husband grumbles a bit when I try to put decorations up before Thanksgiving, but he always ends up helping me.

    I agree with you, this has been a beautiful fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the leaf picture. I'm not saying farewell to fall just yet, but I know it's coming. I always start decorating for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving. I can imagine how busy you will be as a florist! I am sure your arrangements are inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The leaf is beautiful. As a florist this time of year you must be quite busy. Hope you share some of your arrangements with us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like busy days ahead! I can't believe it is going to be Thanksgiving already...time flies. Let the glitter begin...:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What gorgeous decorations! And you really have five boys!?!?!? And retain your sanity!?!?!? After my son was born, I didn't sleep through the night again for five years! And let me tell you, my waking hours are NEVER dull! My hat off to you Madblooms! You are my new idol!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bloominthyme: My almost two year old still wakes up at 2:30 in the morning for a bottle, so I feel your pain! The rest of my boys are older (11 to 7) so it makes it easier since they are mostly self-sufficient on a lot of things. But there is NEVER a dull moment, or quiet one for that matter!

    ReplyDelete

Questions or Comments?

Related Posts with Thumbnails